Thursday, February 7, 2013

Connecticut - Election Cake

50 weeks, 50 states, 50 desserts

The fourth state is Georgia. Obviously, anything with Georgia must include peaches. Since peaches are still not in season I’m skipping Georgia for now. That makes Delaware and Georgia that I have skipped due to peaches being out of season.

The fifth state is Connecticut, having ratified the U.S. Constitution on January 17, 1788. Connecticut does not have any official state foods. However, they are home to a well-known cake, Election Cake. This cake dates to the 18th century and while probably not originally made in Connecticut, it does have strong ties to Hartford, Connecticut.

Election cake is a yeast “cake” that is really more bread-like and is sweetened with fruits or nuts.

Connecticut - The Constitution State and the Nutmeg State
State #5
January 17, 1788


Last time I was reminded of my #1 rule – Don’t try to improvise, just follow the recipe – exactly.  This time I was reminded of my #2 rule – Read the recipe and instructions completely before starting.

This cake is pretty easy to put together.  I didn’t do as well as I should have with this part, but it does help if the milk and eggs are at room temperature when you start.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon yeast
1 cup milk, lukewarm
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
4 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon nutmeg and/or cinnamon
1 cup raisins chocolate chips
1/2 cup brandy

Instructions:
Dissolve the yeast in the milk and set aside.
The warm milk helps the yeast to dissolve better and quicker.

Combine the butter and sugar in a mixer. Beat eggs and add to the butter and sugar.
I always think of just eating some of the butter and sugar.  That's probably not the healthiest choice, but it looks so good when it's all light and fluffy.

Add the yeast and milk and mix well.

Add the brandy.
“I love cooking with wine—sometimes I even put it in the food” - possibly Julia Childs and/or maybe W.C. Fields

Sift together three cups of the flour and spices, then add to the wet ingredients.
The cinnamon gave it this nice reddish color.

Gradually add the raisins chocolate chips.
I used chocolate chips instead of raisins or fruit or nuts. Why wouldn't you? By the end, for a cake that wasn't supposed to be sweet, it turned out pretty sweet.

Knead in the remaining flour.
On a floured board, knead until smooth and elastic.
When I got to this part I realized that the dough was elastic and it did remind me of bread dough more than cake.

Butter a tube pan or two small loaf pans. Put the dough in the pan and allow it to rise until doubled.
Two things I didn't realize until I got to this part. See rule #2 above.
#1 Butter the pan-notice the can of Pam in the background.  That took care of that oversight. 
#2 Allow the dough to rise until doubled----I started this thing at like 9pm, I didn't have time to let it rise until doubled.  I was lucky to find enough free time to get this far.  So, I tried a couple different things to and got it to rise some; not nearly enough, but I had to go with it.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 35 to 45 minutes. Turn out on a rack to cool.

Looks pretty good!


Because it didn't have a chance to rise properly, it was little dense, but tasty.   And it was better when it was not in the refrigerator overnight.

Top with favorite frosting.

Frosting?!   You got it!  I used the same chocolate glaze from the Cannoli.  See? I told you it turned out pretty sweet by the time I was done.

No comments: